Monday, August 31, 2009

方大同-《可啦思刻》

After retail therapy, Edelyn is a happy kid again!
I bought Khalil Fong 方大同's Timeless album, 《可啦思刻》。




方大同's Timeless 可啦思刻.


I have no idea what ‘可啦思刻’is, but I'm guessing that it stands for 'Classical'. A search on the Internet tells me that 可啦思刻=可以‘啦’者唱的歌+思念时刻. Nice try.
All tracks in this album are covers of popular numbers such as You Are My Sunshine, Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You, Bad, 狂潮, La Bamba, 红豆, Georgia On My Mind, 记得, Wonderful Tonight and Moon River.
Oh, did I just name all ten tracks? Haha, sorry, but all are worth to be mentioned.
Well, frankly speaking, these covers are not as impressive as the originals, but they are still worth a listen. Well, just like a little fan singing his idols' classic hits in a karaoke lounge, I hear lyrics and techniques, however, some songs lack in emotions. [Bad -Michael Jackson], for example, is really mild, and leaves almost no impression on me even though I put the CD on repeat mode the whole night. [You Are The Sunshine Of My Life] has a querky start, but the the female voice (黄韵玲)of one line is really very random. [La Bamba -Ritchie Valens], like what Dad said, is weak compared to the original version, but again, it's Khalil's style. [Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You] sounds sweet and is rather catchy, a real timeless hit. [红豆 -Faye Wong] is a pleasant surprise, a slow melodic piece that is sure to capture one's attention. I personally like [Wonderful Tonight -Eric Clapton] a lot, okay, I admit that I love the original version, but Khalil's version has some sort of punch too that will make people want to listen to the song again over and over.
As the title of this album suggests, wonderful music pieces are Timeless and stays good forever. A little remix don't harm, be it good or bad. What Khalil is doing here is simply introducing good music to more people, using his popularity to let forgotten songs be remembered again.


Colbie Caillet's second album, Breakthrough. Haven't listened to this one yet, will do it during the weekends.

:)

No comments: